Christmas is just around the corner and I am more home sick then ever for the cold, snow, slippers, fireplaces, warm drinks and of course family. Living in Australia is wonderful but we are definitely missing those Michigan Winters right about now. Pinterest is NOT helping the case throwing snowy cabins in my face constantly - how gorgeous is this Villa Boreale Cabin and that ski lift swing!!
To ease our homesickness (is that a word?) we've begun to make our own Christmas Traditions to make it feel a little more special each year.
- Make your own Advent Calendar - Nate and I each get about $25-$50 and go shop for each other for small fun items and wrap them up and number them Dec 1st -24th. Then hang them from a wreath or Christmas Wall hanging like this one and each day you get to pick one to unwrap!
- Go to your favourite Christmas store (ideally one that sells real Christmas tree's - smells SO good and complimentary apple cider). As a family pick out a new ornament and go home and hang it on your tree. Then sit down with your favourite snacks (our's is cheeses, meats, crackers, olive tapenade and a bottle of wine) and watch your one of your fave Christmas movie (we choose Love Actually or Family Stone).
- A Baking Day - Grab your girlfriends and bring your cutest apron (or to make it even more special each year you can gift one to each other) and spend the day baking Christmas Cookies and eating cookie dough with the Michael Bublé Christmas album blasting.
- Dim the lights and read the Christmas Story while you enjoy the Christmas tree and a glass of eggnog.
- Christmas Lights Viewing - Jump in the car, hit the Starbucks drive through for a holiday drink and drive around looking at Christmas lights.
I really encourage you guys to make special traditions for your family but of course you are more then welcome to steal some of our's too - they are pretty good if I do say so.