I [Alexandria] am new to using air bnb but now I am hooked and traveling will never be the same again. We rented a little flat in Brisbane for the weekend for our 1 Year Anniversary. We had such a lovely experience and air bnb has rentals in 190 countries! Perfect for traveling, anniversaries, or even stay-cations.
I fell in love with our flat the moment I saw it! It was so cute and well designed and had a cozy feel to it.
Our host was so wonderful and made sure we had everything we needed. We even had croissant and coffee every morning! You can book your stay here.
Here's a few tips on how to find great places to go in a new city.
1. first do research on Google: We knew we were wanting to walk around shops, cafes, restaurants and experience a bit of culture. I usually type in Google “hip” or “trendy” and "must do's" before each of these categories.
2. I always read the reviews. Any place with only 1 or 2 reviews can be a little suspect but I find great places have a lot people giving reviews and praise.
3. Use Pinterest. Pinterest is actually a great resource as everyone pins their favorites spots. Just type in the city you're traveling to and then play around with different words [ie: Brisbane coffee shop]. The photos are handy too!
4. Organize and plan! My husband laughed out loud when I showed him our perspective "schedule" but he thanked me at the end of the trip! I created different sections of the city for our trip and broke them up into 3 days based on locations near one another. I also made note of their hours and location [sometimes when traveling you don't always have wifi and this info comes in handy].
5. Budget! I recommend budgeting ahead of time and set certain spending limits [This much per day for drinks, this much per meal, this much for extra spending for gifts, shopping etc.] It is so much nicer not having to calculate and sort this out while on our trip. It's also peace of mind that you didn't overspend.